Bureau of Motor Vehicles COVID-19 Safety Protocols
U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS— In light of the COVID-19 public health emergency, Director McIntosh and the staff of the Bureau of Motor Vehicles are implementing the following procedures to help limit the spread of the Coronavirus:
• The bureau will be serving a limited number of customers daily, no more than 6 persons at a time will be allowed in the Vehicle registration renewal offices.
• Director McIntosh is encouraging the community to take advantage of the bureau’s online vehicle registration process. During the period from March 18, 2020 to May 31, 2020, the bureau will waive the requirement for inspection for any customer that renew their vehicle registration online. If customers need assistance in setting up an account or for technical assistance, please email the bureau at firstname.lastname@example.org
• All road tests and written test for the learner’s permit are cancelled until further notice.
• In coordination with the Virgin Islands Police Department, the bureau will automatically extend customers driver’s licenses that expired between March 16 and May 31, 2020 to June 15, 2020. Customers will not be charged late fees during this period.
• In the case of customers who are traveling and may need to renew their driver’s license or obtain an ID card, the customer must present proof of travel and will be seen by appointments only. To make an appointment, please call (340) 713-4268 on St. Croix, (340) 774-4268 on St. Thomas, and (340) 776-6262 on St. John.
Director McIntosh thanks the community for their understanding during this public health emergency. As the bureau receives additional information, Director McIntosh will update the protocols as necessary. For more information, please feel to contact the BMV at (340) 713-4268 on St. Croix, (340) 774-4268 on St. Thomas, and (340) 776-6262 on St. John.
For up to date information on COVID-19, the new strain of coronavirus, please visit the Virgin Islands Department of Health’s website at: doh.vi.gov/coronavirus or text COVID19USVI to 88877. #COVID19USVI