Vehicle Registration - Renewal

All vehicles require annual inspection except PRIVATE vehicles six (6) years and under, eight (8) years, and ten (10) years . All private vehicles seven (7) years, nine (9) years, and above must be inspected.

The owner of the vehicle must present to the BMV the previous year’s registration document and valid vehicle insurance. 

Vehicle Registration - 1st Time

The owner of the vehicle would have to come to the BMV for a moving permit. With the moving permit the car can be presented for inspection. The owner of the vehicle must present to the BMV the original title. If the title is not in the seller’s name the new owner needs an affidavit of transfer. The owner needs valid insurance and valid identification.

Vehicle Transfer

The transfer of a vehicle may be handled by the seller or the buyer as long as the original vehicle registration is attach, the Certificate of Title is properly filled out and notarized by a valid certified notary public, and a copy of a valid ID for the buyer. The valid ID must include a signature for verification. 

The registration of All vehicles being sold and transferred to another person must first be cancelled before the title can be transferred.  In order to cancel the registration the plates and sticker must be removed from the vehicle and they must be turned into the BMV along with the registration cancellation application signed by the owner of the vehicle.

If the buyer does not have valid insurance the vehicle can be transferred, but not registered.

Third party transfers  and double transfers are only allowed by dealers, in that case the dealer need to have a Power of Attorney, signed by the Seller, authorizing him/her to process the documents on his/her behalf.  Third party must present a picture ID.

Persons registering vehicles in the name of a business will need to attach the Business License for that business

If the owner of the vehicle is deceased, a letter from Probate with the Administrator’s name authorizing said person to proceed with transfer in accordance with probate conditions.  In the absence of a Will, persons need to go through Probate. 

Based on Title 20, Section 335 of the Virgin Islands Code, the transferor of a motor vehicle shall, within twenty-four hours of such transfer, notify the Bureau of Motor Vehicles of the transfer on forms provided by the BMV for such purpose.  Upon receipt of notice, the BMV will note such transfer of ownership on the registration license of the transferor and shall cancel such registration license by marking the word “cancelled” across the face thereof and shall void the license plates issued with such registration license subject to the provisions of section 332 of the VIC; provided, however, that such cancellation and voiding shall not be effective until forty-eight (48) hours after the Director has received such notice of transfer.  The motor vehicle so transferred may be operated during such forty-eight (48) hour time period; provided, however, that such motor vehicle may not be operated after the expiration of such forty-eight (48) hour time period unless the transferee of the ownership of such motor vehicle has applied for and received a registration license and license plates for such motor vehicle pursuant to the provisions of section 332 of this section.

All liens must be satisfied before vehicles can be transferred or a letter must be presented from the lending institution that vehicle is authorized by the lending institution to be transferred.

Senior Citizens, defined as persons sixty years of age or older and verified by a senior citizens ID card issued by the Department of Human Services and who are domiciled in the US Virgin Islands or disabled persons shall be exempt from the payment of the Certificate of Title fee (VIC T20 S218a). However, if you do not have a senior citizens ID card you can use your passport, BMV issued ID card or Driver's license to show proof of your age.

Vehicle Alteration Form

This form is filled out by the owner of the vehicle whom would like to alter the vehicle in some way.  This form must be filled out and work must be approved prior to the alteration of the vehicle.  Work once approved, must be based on the noted specifications on this form.  Alterations are authorized or denied after the Bureau of Motor Vehicles collaborates with experienced mechanics in the field and/or manufactures of the vehicle for qualified opinions based on the requested alteration on the form. Upon completion of vehicle alteration, owner must return to the BMV for inspection and approval.  If the alteration is not approved, the above steps must be repeated. 

Vehicle Clearance Form

When shipping a vehicle, a vehicle clearance form from the BMV must be obtained.  In order to be approved, the original vehicle registration, must be presented. When shipping to foreign countries, the license plates and registration stickers are turned in to the BMV.  Vehicles must be inspected, all information must be verified, and all traffic tickets and liens must be satisfied prior to issuance.  Vehicles with a lien must be accompanied by a letter from the lending institution giving permission to ship the vehicle out of the U.S. Virgin Islands.  Vehicles being shipped within the U.S. Virgin Islands do not require a vehicle clearance from the BMV.

Vehicle Liens

Once the BMV receives lien placement letter from a lending institution (Banks, credit union, leasing companies etc.) a lien will be placed on the designated vehicle. For an individual to place a lien against someone else’s vehicle a court order must be presented to the BMV to do so. Car dealerships are exempt from having to provide a court order.

To remove a lien from a vehicle a lien release letter from the lending institution has to be provided to the BMV.

For St. Thomas - Vehicle Inspection & Road Test - Subbase location. All transactions and other services for vehicles and drivers are completed at the Main Office, relocated to the TUTU Park Mall in the vicinity of the Food Court.